Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Art In the Streets

Monday, I was finally able to soak in the amazing exhibit at the MOCA called "Art in the Streets". If you've been in LA at all since April, you probably know what I'm talking about. It's the first major exhibition of graffiti and street art in a major US museum! Impressive. And it only took me 3 months to get my body over there. You'd think the banners on every street pole would keep it a priority in my mind. Nevertheless, I waited until the last day of the exhibit to put my interest into action. I guess I like to live on the edge? At least it was free (Thank you Banksy). I wish I could recommend you go see it now, but you'll just have to believe me... or take a trip to the Brooklyn Museum next year (See how I'm inspiring adventure?).
But honestly, this proved to be an incredible installment. Not only were there beautiful works of art displayed on the walls, there were also recreations of alleyways and people spray painting at night. I was shocked at the many different facets and styles of street art, as well as it's surrounding culture. Some parts were fun and crazy, others were thought-provoking or political. It's something I've always found fascinating, maybe due to my complete lack of street cred. We're always intrigued by the things we don't completely understand, right?

In case you're curious, here are a couple pictures I snagged with my phone:













1 comment:

  1. Loved your photos, Taylor! I had no idea that there was an exhibit for street art, but I can see how it was inspired. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete