Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Creative DNA

"If you understand the strands of your creative DNA, you begin to see how they mutate into common threads in your work. You begin to see the story that you're trying to tell; why you do the things you do (both positive and self-destructive); where you are strong and where you are weak (which prevents a lot of false starts); and how you see the world and function in it." 
Twyla Tharp (American dancer, director, and choreographer) 

I found the above quote while reading this wonderful book and I couldn't help but stop and reflect.


Creativity encodes itself into everyone's DNA. The way it forms and takes shape is what makes us unique. For some it is sculpture, collaging, painting, for others photography, writing, cooking, and still others find it in business plans or curing diseases. It is about making something original. Using your imagination. Innovating. Expressing a vision. What is your signature style? In what materials and tools does your passion lay? My creativity is messy and eclectic. My mind is constantly running in a hundred directions, but I love color, dimension and texture, and things that don't follow any sort of guideline. Making something from nothing. I find myself using fabric, paint, pictures, paper, items found in nature. Everyone discovers their spark in something different. What is spark? What is your story?

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful post and it makes me think about how to answer your questions! My creativity seems to be more structured, but when I really think about it, I believe it is expressed in many mundane ways such as my need to have my environment clean and neat, but also I want it to have color and beauty and comfort about it. I express my creativity through my writing, which has been my main channel of expression since I was a child. Spark? Something that motivates you, inspires you. I agree that everyone has creativity in their DNA as encoded there by our Creator, the Master of all creativity in all its shapes and forms!We just need to explore what we have been given and how to best express it and use it.

    ReplyDelete